Gyumri Hotels -brought to you by VisitArm Armenia
Hotel Reservation Center. Gyumri is one of the oldest
cities in Armenia. Hotels in Gyumri are offering
high quality services and decent accommodations. In Gyumri
we are cooperating with Berlin Guesthouse, which
is one of the best hotels in Gyumri. Berlin
Guesthouse has provided 10% discount for
guests booking accommodations in Gyumri with VisitArm. This reservation service is FREE!!
Berlin Guesthouse located
in the heart of Gyumri, this beautiful small hotel beats its competition
in terms of quiet location, luxury design, and great attitude to
customer service. To see the photos please click here.
Gyumri (Armenian: Գյումրի, Russian: Гюмри, Greek: Αλεξανδρουπολις, Alexandroupolis, Persian: گیومری, Turkish Gümrü) is the capital and largest city of the Shirak province in northwest Armenia. It is located about 75 miles (120 km) from the capital Yerevan, and, with a population of 150,917 (2001 census), is the second-largest city in the country.
The name of the city has been changed many times in history. It was first known as Kumayri or Gyumri, then Alexandropol (1840-1924), then Leninakan (1924-1990), then again as Gyumri.
Gyumri is situated on a 126 km distance from Yerevan (capital of the Republic of Armenia) in the central part of Shirak Highland, on a 1550 height from the sea level, in the north-western part of Armenia, on the left bank of Akhourian river.
The overall space it covers is 3626 ha.
The length of Shirak highland flat part is approximately 35 km, and the width 25 km. It borders Pambak western, volcanic Aragats northern and western mountains and rocks. The town has a geographically favourable location, which is crossed by Cherkez, Djajur and other cliffs. The land is flat and is covered by lake, river and volcanic massifs of 350 m width.
The distance from Gyumri to Black Sea through direct line is 196 km length, and the distance from Gyumri to Moscow through railway is 2760 km.
The Gyumri air is wholesome and healthy, flora is prairial. Acacia, maple, ash and other trees grow in the valleys. The town receives around 2.500 hour solar light and heat per year. There are numerous volcanic springs in the area, which all-together supply with 1200 L/C water in total.
One of the abundant rivers of Armenia Akhourian passes by the town.
The area is rich with construction materials, particularly with tuff, basalt, diatomite, clay, as well as with black soiled fertile grounds.
In general the climate of Gyumri is arid. The winters in this area are sometimes severe. The minimum temperature falls to - 41 C. Summers are relatively hot. The mercury column riches 36 degrees. The annual falls in average make 500 mm. The town is located in an 8-9 scale seismic area.
The first settlement at the location occupied by the modern city of Gyumri is believed to have been founded some time in the 5th century BC, perhaps ca. 401 BC, by Greek colonists . An alternative theory suggests that the city was founded by Cimmerians, based on the fact that Cimmerians conquered the region in 720 BC and that the original name of the city was Kumayri . The settlement existed sporadically during the next two millennia until a major Russian fortress was built on its site in 1837.
In 1840, the town that was quickly growing around the fortress was named Alexandropol (sometimes transliterated as Aleksandropol). The name was chosen in honor of Emperor Nicholas I's wife, Princess Charlotte of Prussia, who had changed her name to Alexandra Fyodorovna after converting to Orthodox Christianity. The town was an important post for the Imperial Russian military in the Transcaucasus, where their military barracks were established.
At the time, Alexandropol was considered more important than Yerevan, which was then viewed as an insignificant village. During the Russian-Turkish War, Armenians from cities such as Kars, Erzurum, and other territories of what was then the Ottoman Empire, immigrated to Alexandropol, where the Russians had established a fortress. Yerevan would not rise to prominence until being proclaimed the capital of the independent Republic of Armenia in 1918 and Armenian SSR in 1920.
During the Turkish-Armenian War, Turkey attacked Gyumri and occupied the city in November 7, 1920 after winning the Battle of Alexandropol. The Turks, were headquartered in Gyumri after the battle. From this city Turks presented the Armenians with an ultimatum which Armenia was forced to accept otherwise Turkey would have invaded Yerevan from their headquarters located in Gyumri. Armenia was forced to sign the Treaty of Alexandropol to stop the Turkish advance towards Yerevan the capital of Democratic Republic of Armenia and ending the Turkish-Armenian War.
In 1924 the name was changed to Leninakan after the deceased Soviet leader Vladimir Lenin. It was a major industrial center for the Armenian Soviet Socialist Republic, and its second largest city, after Yerevan, the capital. The city suffered major damage in the 1988 Spitak Earthquake, which devastated large parts of the country. The current name of the city was chosen in 1990 at the time of the Soviet breakup. Russian 102nd military base is located in the city. Today, it remains the second largest city in the Armenia.
Buildings and constructions
There are five churches, one convent, and one Russian chapel in Gyumri. One of the most important and historical churches is the Church of the Holy Saviour of All (Sourb Amenaprkich). Construction on the church began in 1859 and was completed in 1873. It was greatly damaged by the 1988 Spitak earthquake and is currently being reconstructed.